12.09.2008

This past weekend

I tried to post this yesterday but it got messed up :( Now I'll write it all out again...

This weekend was BRAG's CPE trial and a Wild Weaver's AKC trial in Grove City. Saturday, Dexter went to the AKC trial with my mom in the morning - I was at the CPE trial and would come to the AKC trial in the afternoon. Dexter is still not very happy w/the BRAG building so I was interested to see how he would act at the ranch. Well - mom said he was a little nervous in the morning, so she just let him stay in his crate in the crating area to "take in" everything while in a secure place. She took him and Fada out at some point, and he was starting to get more comfortable and played with Fada and a toy outside. He was also chewing his toys in his crate, so obviously feeling pretty OK.

When I got there, he opened up even more. I took him into the arena where the rings were, and at first he was a little hesitant but quickly got over it (yay!). He played some with a BC puppy and an Italian greyhound. Later, after most people were gone (the excellent classes were over) I took him alongside the rings and was walking and running him back and forth, and doing sits and downs a little. He was completely comfortable. YESSSSS! I was very happy to see Dexter acting very much like a "normal dog" in a scary place.

Saturday evening, Dexter got to play outside in the snow at our house. I'm not sure if he ever saw snow at Carol's up in Michigan, but boy does he love it!!! He got the zoomies, and would lower his head while running and scoop up mouthfuls of snow. Too funny...

On Sunday he came to the CPE trial in the morning. He was great in the office, with lots of dogs and people, which was fantastic. I briefly brought him out to the training floor - which was still intimidating for him. I think I am just going to have to work with just him in the building, then him and another, quiet dog, and build it up until it has more dogs and people there.

We went to the AKC trial again in the afternoon, and he was great again. But exhausted! He was wiped out from the adventures earlier in the day and the day before I think. Overall, Dexter had a great weekend.

1 comment:

Andy said...

Sounds like an exciting weekend!