11.26.2008

First training post

Last night, I introduced Dexter to the clicker. I started out by charging the clicker - clicking when I said his name and he looked, and rewarding. That went well (boy do those treats have to be small though!). Then, decided to do "101 things with a box" - which was a milk crate on it's side. However then we started having distraction issues. I had shut Fancy and Panic in the bedroom so Dexter would be left alone during our training session. However, our house is a ranch, and he could easily hear them in there. Panic was crying and scratching at the door - upset that it was not *her* I was training. He kept going over to the gate which was blocking our living room from the hallway, and whining wanting to see what she was going on about. My 101 things to do with a box game quickly turned into me clicking for him coming back to me or staying with me. I'm not sure he knew what he was being rewarded for.

I think for future sessions I will have to have him around less distractions. I'm not sure what to do with the girls... Put them outside? It's cold! Maybe I can put them in crates in the van, or take Dexter over to my mom's basement... we'll have to figure it out!

No comments: