6.14.2010

Awesome Paws camp 2010

Spent the weekend at Awesome Paws camp, with Linda & Carrie instructing. It was *GREAT*! We took the advanced skills section, and boy did we learn a lot!

The biggest take away for me from the whole weekend was how to appropriately use acceleration & deceleration to get Panic to drive into turns better and make tighter ones. I had especially not been decelerating correctly in my handling. She did really well over the two days, and while we have a lot to work on (me, really), there were some moments of brilliance! I'm so excited seeing those flashes - it gives me great motivation to improve my handling. Mostly, I just need to be more of an active handler - she floats out so lovely to let me get in some crosses etc but if I drive into turns more instead of letting her do them herself, I get much better speed out of her. I've gotten complacent with what we've been doing.

I've also decided to pull Spry from the July Flashpoint trial. There is still soooo much more foundation jump stuff we need to work on, and although I am quite sure she could get around those courses, I'm afraid I'd ruin our hard work. And I'm not good at entering and not caring about Qs and doing well, so I'd probably put too much pressure on my lovely baby dog. Mom had Neat at the basic skills Thurs/Fri and took lots of good notes of some great exercises for us to do. I may still do something at the BRAG all tourney trial - we'll hvae to see where we're at by then. I am so excited to work on a lot of this stuff with her!

No comments: