10.02.2011

Tunnels!

A few weeks ago I had occasion to spend a few hours at the BRAG (agility) building while chiropractic appointments were going on. I just had to be there to open the building and be around while folks were coming and going. So I took Daz to train and keep me company. No, I did NOT train her for hours. It WAS a great opportunity to work her for a few minutes, take a break, then work again 30-40 minutes later. 


In addition to the teeter and contact board work we played in the tunnels. She had been through a straight tunnel previously, when she was very young. I had someone hold her at one end while I called through, but she hadn't done one for awhile. 


I set up one tunnel, perfectly straight and plopped her little self down, aimed at the opening, using a hand motion to encourage her through. After several attempts where she ran back out to jump on me, bite at the tunnel edge, etc. she finally got it and ran into the tunnel. I raced to the other end and when she came out I clicked/treat and we had a party. We did that several times, from both ends of it. I was very careful to have her chase me well out of the tunnel, to avoid that "tunnel peeper" syndrome where they like to play hide and seek and run back in the tunnel or lurk right at the end. 


Next round of tunnel I set up a second one, about 8-10' from the first. I again ran her through the first tunnel; c/t. Then I showed her the second one and encouraged her through. She raced on in; out the other side. C/T and party! We turned around, went into tunnel #2, c/t, then raced on back through tunnel #1; c/t and party! 


Then we turned and did BOTH tunnels, one right after the other before the reward and party. Did that several times and boy was she having fun! Well that was pretty cool, but now to make sure she's still paying attention to ME. I send her through one tunnel, then veer off at a 90° angle, calling her name. She was momentarily confused and started towards the second tunnel opening, but then opted to follow me instead. She got a c/t in Recall to Heel position while moving, then another puppy party. 


On our final tunnel session that afternoon we alternated running two tunnel with running one and then going away from them. She seemed to "get" that the game was to pay attention to what I was asking. Hope it sticks!


I would like to reiterate, these training sessions are VERY short each time. I always try to quit while she is still engaged and wanting to work, rather than waiting till she is starting to get bored or distracted!

No comments: