8.16.2010

More detailed post

Ok so like I said in my short post below, I'm forgetting BRAG as Spry's debut :) I knew team courses would be too hard but figured it didn't matter because I would just handle her like a baby dog and didn't care if we Qd or not. What I didn't think hard enough about was the fact that my mind would be frazzled from secretarying - which it definitely was (as evidenced from panic's runs!), and that my baby girlie who LOVES people more than anything else in the world, would have a hard time outdoors w/flagging only.

So, we'll forget that weekend ever happened, and count this past weekend's indoor CPE as her first show :)

I only entered her in Jackpot and Standard on Sunday. I debated which level to start her in and decided on 1. She can do teeter and weaves just fine but a) this club's teeter is VERY loud on their floor, and b) I really wanted her to be successful so figured the easiest possible course would be better.

Actually I'm very glad I chose 1, because the standard 1 course actually had some difficult challenges and the level 2 was of course even harder.

Comments I have from running:
Jackpot - was very, very happy with this run :) She did not pay attention to judge/ring crew at ALL (until she was done that is!). This is the first time she has ever done that jumping/biting at me thing, which obviously I don't love, but I was happy that when she didn't know what to do she focuesd on ME instead of checking out who's lap looked best to jump into. I think I didn't cue the jump after the AF so much as just run by it, so I can't blame her for not taking it, and then I think she was just fixated on me after the jump as well. She had gorgeous contacts, weaves, and start line. Didn't expect her to do the jump in the jackpot. THRILLED she came to the table instead of bursting out of the ring (exit gate was right there and open).

Standard - I was planning on releasing her when I did, but am pretty sure she was already self-releasing! Oops, can't allow that - she has SUCH a nice stay we don't want it to go away. Also I don't know why I didn't lead out farther. She barked at me when I brought her back around to do jump #2. Also a first! I decided to keep my shoulders straight at the AF contact since I noticed I really turned into her in jackpot for the AF. She *kind* of stopped but also was pretty much all the way on the ground so it realy was NOT the desired performance. I had planned on a FC at the bottom of the AF but wasn't able to do it since she didn't really stop, and then we got all confused with eachother. But again, at least she's asking me where to go, instead of choosing on her own.

Now for the next sequence, I really debated how to handle. The line from the tunnel to the two jumps was pretty tough if you FC'd right by the tunnel exit, the handler would have to diverge from the dog's path to get around the jumps, and I was pretty sure she would pull off jump #2. I decided to do it anyway and tried to get as far to the left side of the screen as possible for the FC so I could try to set a nice line to jump #2 after the tunnel. You can see it was still a challenge but she did it and I was pleased. I still should have opted for a RC on the flat between that 2nd jump and the double though I am pretty sure. She knocked that bar HARD with her front feet. I was already pulling laterally to cue the turn to the DW which was inappropriate for her. I should have waited. Similarly, I was pulling to the tunnel because I was worried about the closing line, so she skipped the wingless after the DW. Again, really can't fault her here.

The closing line was TOUGH - out of the straight tunnel to those 3 jumps at 90 degree angles. I probably should have called her to me after the tunnel to set it up better. I wanted to get some lateral distance while she was in the tunnel so she could see my motion towards the first jump, then turn hard to square up her approach to #2, and RC on the flat for the third jump. As it was, I converged hard on her for #1 and she just barely made it, and ended up doing a regular ole RC... and I am shocked I didn't get a spin before the jump or knocked bar. Maybe noticing daddy in the corner helped :)

overall THRILLED with her performance. I have to maintain her criteria for contacts and startline stay. I saw some moments of brilliance :) I think she is going to be VERY fast once we get it all together.

I would like her to stride bigger on the DW but am not too concerned because this is the first time on a DW other than BRAG's, and I like that she used a little bit of caution - she usually is not a cautious dog at ALL. Also she needs to come over the apex of the AF instead of slowing/stopping there. We will work on that.

Really happy we only got one bar. Very pleased to see her looking for me out of tunnels and doing such a nice 180 onto the DW.

I think she is going to challenge my handling skills and really help me grow. She is going to be *totally* different than Panic, who just made life waaaaay too easy for me :)

No comments: