8.06.2010

p90x - day 1 - core synergistics


Well, Tuesday night Andy and I were woken by the storms and Dexter stressing kept us up. So we turned on the TV - and it was 3am or so, so of course infomercials were on. Well we watched the P90X one again. It convinced me to give it a real try. It's a hard workout so I have let myself get discouraged before and never even really complete one :) BUT there was one guy on there who was pretty overweight/out of shape to start with and he just emphasized it doesn't matter if you can't do all the moves at first, just keep moving and trying. So it inspired me to go for it!

We did day one yesterday. On Saturday, I did something to make the muscles over my left hip really sore. I think it was carrying the AF w/Dave that did it because I was hitched over to the side and stretching out those muscles to do it. Anyway it was feeling better until I was waiting on the elevator yesterday, and just STANDING there somehow I tweaked it again. Not a good way to start the first workout! Oh well. We're doing the "lean" version of the program which is more of the cardio and a little less of the muscle building than the traditional. So the first day of this program is core synergistics. I was scared by the name! I figured it would be a lot of ab stuff which would hurt my lower back. I was pleasantly surprised to find out I was wrong! Lots of push-ups/plank stuff though. Definitely couldn't keep up all the time and next workout I need to do a better job of doing SOMETHING if I can't do what they do for as many reps - instead of laying there on my stomach panting on the floor. That's not super productive :) I will say after the workout I felt like it was good but I wasn't going to be super sore. Then I went off to agility and ran the girls & the dude - continuing to keep moving probably kept off some of the soreness for a while. This morning though, I can definitely feel it in my chest, abs, hamstrings, biceps & triceps, and back! So I guess I did get a good workout.

Today is cardio x. I'm not awesome at doing long bouts of cardio, but I guess that's why I'm doing this, to improve! It's only 43 minutes, so I can do it. Last night's was 57 minutes. I have to say, doing the bootcamp - even though I didn't complete it - I think really helped me. I don't think I'm necessarily still in any sort of better shape, but mentally I know I can do a hard full hour work out. In the past I would have seen 57 minutes and given up around 20. For whatever reason, I'm really excited about this. We took pictures and measurements yesterday. I took a starting weight this morning (actually a few pounds less than I expected). But yesterday I was being kind of bummed out and depressed at work. And then I talked to Andy and we decided to do day 1 yesterday, and I got pumped and it really elevated my mood for the rest of the day! And now this morning I don't feel tired and discouraged by the work day like I usually do. I feel energized and ready to work out again tonight!

As someone on a p90x blog that I read yesterday said "1 day down, 89 days left. I can do anything for 89 days."

3 comments:

Lisa said...

If you get a chance, watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V24HOVi6a5k

Krista makes some excellent points. Sometimes, the key to succeeding is simply showing up. Do as much as you can and, over time, you'll be able to do more. But, if you overdo it, it is harder to continue because you'll feel like you failed. So, doing a little and succeeding is a better way to make huge progress over the long term.

We're all going to be riptshizzled! ;) (the Canadians are providing me with new slang)

Lianne Martin said...

thanks Lisa I will definitely check it out. That sounds like it makes perfect sense. That's what I'm *trying* to do with this - I didn't at all feel overwhelmed by this yesterday, because when I knew I couldn't do anymore pushups I didn't keep trying until I fell on my face :)

Riptshizzled huh? I like that :)

Kathy said...

Ripshizzled!