4.21.2009

K9 Athletes Wrap Up

Well, it was not the best weekend we've ever had. Technically, we did not meet *any* of our four goals. Here were my goals as I laid out a few entries ago:

1) Be more consistent! We are a pretty good team, but I think I let my concentration lapse at times which results in some not so good results
2) Qualify in 6 runs, for a 66% success rate or greater.
3) Specifically - qualify in at least one standard (MAD), at least one jumpers (JCH), and...
4) Win Steeplechase. We have never done this, and I *know* we are capable.

Here is how it went:

1) We were *very* inconsistent. Our start line stays were horrendous. Our contacts were so-so (hard to say because I only got to attempt one dogwalk, which was very bad). I felt that my concentration was there, but a family matter was likely clouding my concentration.
2) We qualified in 3 runs, so definitely didn't meet this goal.
3) We *did* get our Jumpers leg to complete our Jumpers Champion! Woohoo! However both standard runs were a complete mess. We walked off of both. On Saturday, she broke her start line stay so we messed up the opening, and then she broke her table stay so I chose to leave because the A-Frame was right after the table. I was in horrible position for the a-frame and didn't want her to have a bad one. On a positive note, the table was pretty good both days! I don't remember exactly what happened Sunday... I think we went off course early and then I walked off after a spectacular leap on the DW.
4) She popped the weave poles which threw me for a loop, and after fixing this she went in the wrong end of a tunnel. We had a few mistakes later on in the course as well - including Panic leaving me to air scent!!!

All in all, it was a rather odd weekend. I think it was first outdoor trial of the year syndrome... looking back on it, last year's first trial outside was also awful. She actually left the ring several times to go sniffing. This is so unlike her, but now that it's happened two years in a row, I guess maybe there is a pattern here! It's funny - I like running outside better, and it used to be that pretty much all trials we ran were outside, so that's all the dogs knew. Definitely not the case anymore!

So, we definitely have to work on some things. Outdoor stays and outdoor contacts are highest on our list.

Some bright notes for the weekend:
1) the table, as I mentioned above. Both days were pretty good! (or maybe just in comparison to the rest of the standard runs??) I felt like she didn't waste much time here at all.
2) We did get our jumper champion with a 2nd place, an 11th snooker q, and a 1st and super Q to boot, and a relay leg with Sheri Kaiser and Wyatt (NSTDR). Panic and Wyatt got 1st place. So, we did get some top ten points this weekend...
3) We *almost* got the gamble on Saturday. I am not sure what went wrong, but overall the run was actually very good. I was happy with this one.
4) It was just a fun weekend with the dogs. It was nice to get them out and walk them around the site - Saturday had GORGEOUS weather.
5) I ran Neat for my mom this weekend. Both jumpers runs were a lot of fun to run, and she Qd Sunday. Not so much luck with the *rest* of our runs, but Neener pants is always fun at least :)
5) The pods were funny, as usual. Those dogs make me smile, a lot.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

I was only entered Sunday, and I accidentally entered Emma in Starters instead of Advanced. So I didn't go to the trial.

That April trial is cursed. Last year we had frost on contacts, and this year rain & cold on Sunday. I don't think I'm going to trial outdoors in April any more.

Anonymous said...

Oi. Parabéns pelo excelente blog. Gostaria de lhe convidar para visitar meu blog e conhecer alguma coisa sobre o Brasil. Abração