7.23.2010

working w/spry, upcoming brag trial

Working through more of DJS with Sprybelle at home. She is doing very well - sometimes she still extends more than I'd like, but no reward and the next rep is very nice. What this tells me is she does understand and I just have to be very consistent in not rewarding extension when I'm asking for collection.

Worked her at the building last night. I set up a course. I was very happy with her performance, she hit a decently hard WP approach (ps - 1st time on 24" poles and as expected, she looooved them), is taking jumps at flatter angles now, and is also starting to gain confidence and go ahead of me more when I'm giving her forward cues instead of pacing herself to me and head checking me a lot. Yay for progress! Now what I think our biggest problem is goign to be at the BRAG trial is off-courses. of course, this would be because she is running team which is going to be way over her head... But I'm trying to figure out how best to handle off-course possibilities. I am doing my best to handle her like a baby dog and give lots of forward cues, so for example if I have a 180 where I need to change sides and an off course obstacle near the top of that arc, it's going to be hard for her to stay on course. We had this situation last night - I needed to cross at some point during/after the 180 but there was a pesky table calling her name between the two jumps. I chose a FC on the flat between the two jumps instead of staying behind the plane of the jumps and FC on the landing side because obviously she's not ready for that kind of lateral motion etc at this point. But giving her sufficent forward cues for the jump meant she went on to the table.

I think I may just have to accept a few off courses in order to remain good and consistent with my handling. Should be OK bc our team is really not expecting to Q!

Speaking of the trial... so far 87 dogs and 422 runs. Expecting at LEAST 13 more dogs that are entered in at least team, so at LEAST 65 more runs. That is putting us dangerously close to 500 runs... with one judge... and one day! I am excited to have so many people there but a little worried about how long the day is going to be.

We are setting up 2 rings and alternating between them, as well as timing walkthroughs so that should help. Also hopefully people pitch in to help which will move things along faster. There are some great dogs entered, and I'm excited to see the runs!

No comments: