3.25.2010

Comments on yesterday's training vids

First observation - she is so darn cute! I love to watch her work, she has so much fun :) Also, maybe she's too skinny?? she looks pretty thin in the vid...

Oh and ETA - I loved the part at the end of the 1st contact vid where I throw the toy and she gets it and flips around to put her feet on the board. Tooooo cute :)

Contact board - I am pretty happy with how she is doing on this! I really love when I see the reps where she stretches that leg out nice and far to maintain contact. I think she really understands the criteria. Sometimes her leg kind of slips off the edge of the board but she is trying to maintain contact so I'm still rewarding those. This afternoon I'm going to work again on the ground and then elevate the board up on the table top (4" i think)

Jumping - she worked this one time very briefly back in Nov or Dec as a demo dog, so she remembered to go through the standards. However she is *not* phased clearly by knocking the bar over... so at first I try higher, lower, medium heights, and nothing really seems to work. So, I decided to hold the bar in place so that she *had* to figure out another way to get from one side to another rather than just knocking it. I felt this was safe because I was holding it with my hand, so if she really plowed into it it still did displace, so I wasn't worried about her getting hurt. After a few reps at I think 10" maybe 12" where she was carefully putting all feet over it one at a time, I raised up to 14" and that is where I started to get the jumps. In the second session I got it up to 16" but I am pretty sure she was getting tired towards the end. She is less comfortable jumping from the right side of the vid to the left, not sure why. Not worried, she'll figure it out :)

No comments: