1.28.2011

Fada, and how I know I made the right "Dexter Decision"

Visit mom's new puppy blog for fada: http://podengocasadosol.blogspot.com/

Also, just got a running order for a trial coming up. I look at it, peruse the starters classes, see a 16" dog that is running last before the 12s (and most classes actually don't have any 12s, so it would have been right before Dex) and I think to myself "whew, glad I didn't enter Dude, he *really* hates that dog, woulda been a problem running after him". DUH - you should NOT have to worry about stuff like this! if you are, it's a PROBLEM. Also, when you switch roles and give Dexter's "issues" to a dog like Spry - would I let a dog with Spry's strength leave our house if she had the same issues as him? no ma'am! So, even though Dexter's size makes it easier to manage him, it's a) not appropriate for him to act like that in the first place, perhaps scarring another dog for life and b) even if he truly went after another dog and didn't do them any damage, for goodness sakes he could be snapped in half in an instant.

*sigh*

It makes me so sad though - he's NOT an agressive little shit, he's just an insecure dude. When he is having fun w/other dogs it is so stinking adorable. I hate that sometimes he feels that lashing out is his only option.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lianne-
I'm sorry about your issues with Dexter. Have you thought about doing obedience with him? Not competitively, but in a class setting. I wonder if it would help him to deal with his dog "issues" and focus on you in a setting that is not as "amped up" as agility. Just thinking that it could build his confidence. I know it help my staffy mix, although she was not aggressive, just very fearful.
Cindi