5.11.2010

Warm & Fuzzies

I can't stop thinking about how much fun I had this past weekend at CCDAC's trial. Partially, I am sure this is due to success with Panic & Dexter. Seeing them have so much fun and be so happy makes me just *so* thrilled inside. But mostly, a lot of people I like were there, and very supportive of one another, and the comraderie was just such a great feeling. The weather was miserable for most of Saturday, and bars were falling all over the place due to wind, and they were short on workers and loooong on course changes. But during team gamblers, hearing everyone cheer for teams to "go go go go!" as they attempted the time gamble and genuinely being happy when someone made it, or the groan of defeat when someone just barely missed it, was very refreshing. I think it maybe has something to do with it being outdoors vs indoors? I find at indoor trials I am much more likely to sit in a chair by my crate with a book or take a nap between runs or something - outdoors it's nice to sit by the rings and watch your friends and competitors enjoy their runs.

Today, I am very grateful that I decided to get back into agility after my college hiatus.

I started competing in agility when I was 9 with my Border Terrier, Peanut. I don't think I really realized how "dorky" being in dogs was until I was in 6th or 7th grade, but after that, even though I loved doing it, I was kind of ashamed. I always wished I was in a more cool activity or sport. So as much as I loved it, I never totally embraced it insofar that I wouldn't talk about it much at school, and just didn't feel comfortable with it when I wasn't with "dog people". I did become a judge summer of '00 when I was 15, just about to turn 16. I loved doing that too. I always felt accepted at the dog shows - even when I was younger and kids were not always a favorite of my fellow competitors. It was a better feeling than I sometimes had at school where I sometimes felt out of place.

When I went off to college, I just didn't have a lot of time anymore for agility or judging. I was at school 2 hrs from home and my dogs, so no practicing. I did a few shows a year but pretty much went on hiatus from dogs during that time. I got to experience a lot and am thrilled I took advantage of the opportunities college presented me with instead of staying at home and continuing to focus on the dogs. I know it was the right decision. When I was graduating, I was planning on continuing my non-doggie life and career. When Andy wanted to get a dog, we looked on petfinder and saw "Zum Zum". This goofy little yellow dog, sitting looking up at the camera, with big old ears standing up and a big smile on her face. She was immediately very interesting to me. I convinced Andy to go look at her with me, and we did. Remember, this was going to be Andy's dog, and we were still just dating for 4 or so months at the time. Well, she was a NUT. But after we visited I couldn't stop thinking about her and begged Andy to get her. Long story short, she became "Panic" and really, how could one *not* do agility with her? Started her jumping and weaving within days of adopting her and the rest is history. She was brilliant - seriously brilliant. She has by far been the easiest dog I've had to train for those things, and she was just so eager to do ANYTHING after being shut in one of those small dog kennels on the wall at the shelter. Panic seems to have come into my life for a reason. Without her I'm not sure I would have gotten back into it. And I'm so glad I did.

It is so nice to now be friends, as an adult, with people I have known and competed with for the last 16 years. I know they are always there for me if I need them, and it's just great to hang out with them on the weekend. The relationship that agility has given me with my dogs has been fantastic. It keeps me at least somewhat active compared to sitting at my desk all day and has given me life-long friends :)

Four years ago when I graduated, I would never have guessed how involved I'd be yet again in agility or that agility would indeed become part of my career and livelihood! Thanks to all my agility friends for making this such an enjoyable hobby :)

No comments: