1.07.2010

Funny Spry

So last night we had night 2 of instructor training for BRAG instructors. I was explaining and demo-ing how we teach jumping to our beginner students. I decided to use Spry to demo, thinking she'd be perfect because she has not started jump training yet, so it would be realistic and we'd see some of the problems students encounter when they start jumping.

So, I'm sitting next to the jump with Spry, and she quickly gets that she's supposed to go back and forth over the low bar. She is knocking it a lot though - she's like slowly stepping over the bar and it *looks* like she's trying to gingerly put her rear foot over the bar but just hitting it instead. And it hits me. No, my dog is trying to do 1RTO on the JUMP BAR. She was putting 3 feet on the landing side and very carefully trying to put the 4th foot on the jump bar. And of course it then fell. Haha silly girl!! I'm not really planning on training her to jump for a few months, but we may have to work past this issue when we do!! I imagine though that when she is older and I'm more comfortable with her actually jumping, raising the bar will get us the "jump" I need and she won't be so tempted to try 1RTO.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

That's hysterical. Fin did exactly the same thing. http://fintasticpup.blogspot.com/2007/12/agility-training.html
That's what we get for creating dogs that love to learn and problem solve :)

Lianne Martin said...

lol Lisa - that is too funny!! Hey I'm ok if Spry is following in Fin's footsteps :)