1.20.2010

Trianing last night - part frustrating, part good :)

The good - I worked weaves with Dexter, kept it short and happy. Very nice job. His problem lately at practice with poles has been angled approaches when he is on my left and coming with any speed whatsoever. He doesn't make the turn back for pole #2. We worked through that last night and worked on both sides with a variety of mild angles. He was very happy to work. Decent speed on poles too. good boy!

The good, #2 - Spry got to work on DW and recall to heel. Did an excellent job on recall, suspect I need to practice also with someone holding her so I can do a restrained recall to heel instead of just from a wait, because she doesn't ever get up a lot of speed on that to show me she knows how to collect. However we did some out of a tunnel and she did very well. Her DWs were also excellent.

The bad - Panic :( I am getting very frustrated with her running DW. It seems her stride is not natural for it, and I have tried so hard to reinforce for low hits but she doesn't want to adjust her stride. And, I honestly don't have enough time to train her with stride regulators. So back to "feet" we go on the DW!

But, good #3 - Panic remembers feet pretty well and is stopping on the ground which I'm OK with. Her speed on DW is faster too than it used to be before teaching her to run, also her wilingness to work ahead of me on it is better. I think we'll end up ok. I do hope I didn't screw her up too bad, but we'll see!

Spry's DWs - again we did 7 reps, funny how that is what we did last week too. I'm not trying to go for that, it just ends up a natural stopping point for her.
DW plank was set up on 16" table with u-shaped tunnel leading into it. For first 2 reps, no tunnel.
1 - 2 strides, 3 paws
2 - 2 strides, 4 paws
added the tunnel to the DW from here on out
3 - 2 strides, 3 paws
4 - flew off side of DW
5 - 2 strides, 4 paws
6 - 2 strides, 4 paws
7 - 2 strides, 4 paws

I am OK with 3 or 4 paws, usually the paw that misses is the non-leading front foot, it reaches to the ground. As long as she is hitting low for now I'm ok. I know her striding will change once we add the up and cross boards. Next week I'm going to do the 24" table and after that I think we'll be ready for a low-ish DW. She just loves to work, what an awesome little girl:)

4 comments:

Linda R. said...

You did not post video for the last training session. In the first video, it looked like Spry was extending her stride to jump over the box. I thought the same thing on some of the aframe passes. There is a "friend" in Australia using the box method on a dw and she is getting the same extended stride to clear the box.

Lianne Martin said...

Hi Linda, thanks for your input. I do need to post this week's vid. I think that she actually is trying to jump into the box most of the time - ex if you watch DW #2 she takes a huge flying leap to land in it. Cleary, that is not what I want though, it's scary! The last two reps where she jumped over were when we added the tunnel -> DW and I think she was much more jazzed up. Unfortunately we had to stop there because someone came in the building, but this week her tunnel -> DW were much, much better.

After talking with Lisa K some last week, I took the box off of the DW this week since the stride/gait I want on the AF and DW are totally different. I'm going to keep the box on the AF but am not going to train it any more for a while, until she's older.

Linda R. said...

Oh good. I thought the box was distracting to her on the dw and not producing what you wanted. I probably would not have added speed so soon either since you were not in the 95-97% range of good hits that met your criteria.

Now, I am working on it with a Dobe. So we'll see how it progresses with that long stride.

Lianne Martin said...

Thank you Linda for reminding me not to rush. I am a very bad rusher :) She has PLENTY of time to learn these things, I need to keep that in mind!