4.22.2010

Latent learning

WOW!

Vid #5 is the last session I did with Spry on Tuesday. Yesterday, I decided to work her for a few minutes. My in-laws whippet, Juneau, was visiting and was in the yard. I figured he'd just chill somewhere and not get in the way, yet be somewhat of a distraction (we need to work through distractions!!!) so I left him out. Well, he followed me around the whole time, and half of the time was standing in the way right in front of the WPs. I was going to move him, when Spry says "HEY you're in my WAY!" and in a very agile fashion goes around him and flips into the poles from a fairly drastic angle, and DOES them! now granted, there are only 3 poles and they are channelled, so it's not like she did 12 poles or anything, but she did the macaroni and didn't just fly out of pole 2! I was so pleased. She continued to impress me with her skills - I was probably 10-15' to the side of the poles and 5' or so back from where they started, and I kept trying to go over there to line her up, but she'd see me take one step, and FLY over to them, nail the entry, and do all three. WOW. We haven't even WORKED on entries whatsoever, and after our last Tues session I thought she had a rudimentary sense of "always enter with pole on left shoulder" but it was kinda sketchy. She *totally* gets now how to enter with me on either side. What a fantastic doggie.

Of course, I didn't film it :)

No comments: