12.23.2009

Decision finally made re: Spry's contacts

So I was pretty sure I was going to do a stopped contact for Spry on the DW and teeter, and running on the AF. I've been doing box-work with her alone and before/after tunnels. she's been doing really well. I've also been teaching her 2rto on a board on the ground, also doing well.

She's ready to start working on the box on the AF, but I wanted to start with the AF flat on the ground. Well, unfortunately I really can't disassemble the AF by myself. So.... instead I worked her quickly on the narrower DW box and had her do it on a DW plank :) She did really really well - if she continued to the end of the board she hit it every time. She was having a hard time going ahead of me though. A manners minder would be lovely :) But if she was actually focusing instead of looking at me, she got it great! No leaping whatsoever, and some pretty fast/extended runs too.

However, this lady scares the bejeezus out of me! She is so freakin' reckless. We actually worked on it off of an 8" table, and my goodness, if she came at an angle, she just really could NOT care less if she goes careening right off the other side of the board or not. She will certainly be taught how to safely jump off of the DW!!

So, she will be doing a running DW. I think it's more fun, and I am looking forward to teaching it to her from the beginning, vs Panic who had a stopped and we had this whole history of arguing and leaping when I started teaching her to run. Will still be doing a stopped teeter, so we will still work on 2rto behavior.

I can't wait to see how Spry progresses. She is so fast, and has so much fun playing agility with me. I feel like I've gotten lucky with another fantastic shelter doggie :)

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Hmm, I wonder what you asked for for Christmas??? I can't wait to get my next puppy so I can play with a running dogwalk.

Lianne Martin said...

Haha yes Lisa a MM is on my list! But even if I don't get it I do have some CR gift certs saved up from judging... I didn't realize until recently that they sell it!