12.25.2009

Good morning!

Fada had a pretty peaceful first night (what was left of it) with her little Piper and Drummer. I slept in the pen with her, and only one or twice woke up to her whining because one pup was nursing and the other out of her reach.

She may well be the most comfortable brand new Momma I've had though. She is striking a nice balance. No, she didn't want to leave the pups to go out this morning, but once I carried her out, she did her business, then went to the door to return to her little family. Then she happily ate her breakfast. I was ready with chicken broth (which she took right after delivery)

Delivery was a little rough. Fortunately Lianne was here to help me, and Mike and Andy kept Neat (and Havoc) upstairs. I really didn't want Neat overly distressed at this stage in HER pregnancy, so needed someone to sit with her. She labored quite awhile with the first (Piper), pushing, then stopping. I was honestly about ready to call the vet, when we would see the sac peeking out at us. Then the contraction would stop and it would disapear. I could see the sac was intact though, so was trying not to panic.

Finally, the poor little thing got it out enough there was no going back, but I did think once it was halfway out I was going to have to assist in easing it out with the contraction. She was just beat. And yes Carole, they DO seem good sized pups (6.3 and 6.6 oz) for her! Finally a good heave got her out.

Piper came butt first, in a double sac. I hate those! Took me longer than I wanted to get it off her and I saw no movement. God I hate that! Lianne clamped the umbilical and cut the cord while I started rubbing and shaking puppy. Her lungs were gurgley , so I kept rubbing and shaking, but by now, Fada wanted her baby! Last think I want with first time Momma is to not let her have that first bonding moment, so held Piper down where Fada could lick her while I kept her head down and rubbed. Eventually, I was happy enough with her breathing to let Fada have her.

Fada was exhausted! Now I was concerned she was too tired to have the 2nd pup on her own (yes, I worry, it's what I do. ) Fortunately she started contracting again pretty quickly and seemed to have a better grasp on this "pushing" thing. Before we knew it, just over an hour after Piper, Drummer joined his sister.

I had a lot of concern, never having whelped a bitch THIS small before, but Fada was a trooper and, by all appearances, will be a great Mom!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congratulations and Merry Christmas!